Tea is not just good to drink, but it is also good for the body and mind. It is a panacea for our health: it favours digestion and is very good for keeping us looking younger. It also helps us achieve peace of mind and spiritual well-being whilst maintaining mental and physical balance. Drinking tea is a ritual of purification, an attention to one's soul, an opportunity to stop, reflect and start again.
In its simplest form, a tea ritual is a ritualized, ceremonial way of preparing and drinking tea. Tea rituals, in fact, are common in China, Korea and Japan. You can also find traditional tea drinking principles or a “tea culture” outside of Asia, with Millennials in the U.K. and U.S. developing a booming tea culture of their own.
How to Create a Tea Ritual?
When creating a tea ritual, start with the cup. Choose your favorite mug or tea brewing set, preferably one that has meaning for you. Then, choose your tea. Keep it in a special container or location, one that is visually appealing and helps you treat your tea ritual as a sacred time. It’s also important to make sure you understand how to brew your chosen tea blend to ensure optimal flavor. Lastly, design your space and set aside some time.
Tea Ritual Tips to Engage Your Five Senses Include:
- Watching the tea leaves unfurl in your cup and the colors change while steeping.
- Paying attention to what the herbs smell like before and after adding water or lighting your favorite candle or incense.
- Creating a playlist of go-to songs that help you wind down. (One of my personal favorites is “In a Sentimental Mood” by Duke Ellington and John Coltrane.)
- Experimenting with different sweeteners. Try different recipes to enhance the flavor of various herbs, or pair your tea with your favorite dessert.
- Getting as comfortable as possible. Select the seating or clothing that will make you the most relaxed.
- Sipping consciously. Every sip can be a rejuvenating moment to enjoy!
- Staying flexible. No part of your ritual has to be set in stone. Feel free to tweak your plans based on your needs at the moment.